Everything Is A Competition

If you lived in my house, you'd probably hear my wife say this about ten times a day ...

"George, everything in life does not have to be a competition ..."



Unfortunately for my wife, I take everything I do in my life to be a competition.

If I am playing or coaching a sport, I want to win.



If someone thinks they can eat more than me, I want to eat 2x as much as they do.


If there is a big problem at work, I want to be the first one to come up with the solution.


Whatever it is I am doing, I want to be the best at it.

If I don't care about being the best, than it's not worth doing.


Some Competition At Advanced Training:


In the spirit of competition, we created a little challenge this month at Advanced Training.

We wanted to see who could get the most YouTube hits on individual videos posted for 4 members of Advanced Training performing unique exercises.

Here is a summary of the rules:

  • Each member was allowed to pick a movement of their choosing
  • An individual video of each movement was posted on YouTube
  • At the end of one calendar month, the person with the most "hits" would be declared the winner.

The four videos and a brief description of each are enclosed below.

Please note that I did not embed the videos in this post, so as not to skew the data.

Mike DiPilato: 50lb Curl and Press


What I like about this exercise is that it requires a great deal of mental concentration and body control.

Imagine rubbing your stomach and patting your head at the same time...

Now do it with 50lb weights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpByIG4CTNg



Dennis Heedles: 100lb Bent Over Rows With Fat Gripz


Fat Gripz are a form of rubber tubing you put over a barbell or dumbbell in order to make it thicker.

The thicker the bar, the harder it is to grip.

The harder it is to grip, the more you work your hand strength.

If you can do this exercise below, you can probably strangle a gorilla.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93xd5DGeXNE





Darren Reyes: 45lb Weighted Pull-Ups with Fat Gripz


Weighted Pull-Ups are bad enough.
Adding Fat Gripz to the mix is insane.

I have no idea how Darren gets 13 reps in this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyafIAopElQ



Nick Pugliese: 150lb Split Squat Press


The split squat press is one of the ultimate ways to train your core stabilization.


Of the 70+ athletes I have trained up to this point, none have been able to handle this movement like Nick can.

(Even me, and I was able to perform the legendary six minute push-up hold).

If you ever get into a conflict with Nick, don't hit him in the stomach.
It won't work....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y22LL4GLicg


Wrap-Up:


If you like the videos, please share them with as many people as you can.


Not only will you help this competition, you might inspire someone to take their training to the next level.

No comments: