A Transformation Story - James Grande (Part II)

In (Part I) of the James Grande Transformation story, I promised that I would include the letter James Grande wrote to me after he completed his senior year of football.

James Grande
James asked me to edit the letter as I saw fit, but after reading it a few times, I couldn't modify a single thing.

The only thing I did was underline a few sections and throw in some pictures.

If you are a high school kid training on your own ... read this.

If you are a college kid training on your own ... read this 2x.

To quote James:

"You don’t want to be sitting at a BBQ with friends in 10 years saying I wish I did this differently in college...."

THE LETTER

Hey coach hope all is well with you, your family, and the amazing program I finally bought into last summer (2012). I just wanted to reach out to you to thank you again for everything you have done for me. You sacrificed your time and many weekends to make us better athletes and men. I wanted to write you this for a while, but didn’t know how to say everything that has been going through my mind. Here it goes. First off I miss you! You’re a great man that I can consider a great friend and a father figure. I miss working out with the fellas throughout the summer all for the same purpose of balling out on the field. That bond that we  have created from putting in the hard work together is just unreal. It is just like the bond you have with your family. I consider all those guys brothers now from the pain we went through with the best mentor out there. Working out now isn’t the same with people around me who “think” they know what they are doing, but in reality they aren’t working out the right way.



            I sit here now after work typing this hoping the young kids you are training take your program as seriously as I did that last summer. I hope they are listening to what you are preaching on a daily basis and not just going through the motions. I regretted everyday throughout my senior year of college that I didn't listen to you from day 1. You told me to give it a shot and to buy into what you were preaching going into my freshman year of college. But NO, of course I didn’t listen! I was a stubborn senior in High School that "thought" I knew it all when it came to training. I just wanted to enjoy my senior year summer and train on my own. That was the worst move! I wish I had the power to go back in time to go to my senior year to do things differently. I should’ve been training with you for years instead of months. If I trained with you for all 4 years of college I would’ve done much better than what I did. I still did very well and happy with how I finished, but I know I could’ve done better if I trained with you for those other years I didn’t buy into the program. You helped me reach numbers I never thought I could ever reach in my life. The gains I made in those 3 months were tremendous.




             I’ve learned in the past few years that life goes on. I figured out that since I can’t change my mistakes made in the past maybe I can change some of the mistakes the younger kids can possibly make. Some may be contemplating on doing your program and might think maybe I’ll do it next summer. My advice to them is just do it, just show up! Don’t take your time for granted while you still have the chance to improve. The summers will be there after college. The shore will always be there loaded with girls every summer. 



The parties will always be there with your friends for the rest of your lives! But what won’t be there forever is your time to shine in college football. You only have 4 years to make it count. You don’t want to be sitting at a BBQ with friends in 10 years saying I wish I did this differently in college like I am doing now, you can say I did 4 years of training with coach Mahoney. You need to seriously take a look into the mirror and see what you truly want. Don’t take these 4 years for granted because you can’t go back like I wish I could now. Like Coach Manos always said,” How do you want to be remembered man?"

- James

On a complete and total side note, I realized why I always wanted to train James.
He looks exactly like Wez from Mad Max.

My goal was to turn him into Lord Humungus. (See below)

James Grande


Wez From Mad Max


Lord Humungus - who James looked like after 3 months

No comments: