You Forgot to Add the Other Weight

"Hey buddy, you forgot to add the other weight"

This is what I heard from people when I first started experimenting with "Chaos" movements.
At first, it really irritated me.

I wasn't irritated because they were telling me, I was irritated because they were telling me while I was in the middle of my set.

Do you know how hard it is to perform a Chaos Overhead Lunge with 45lbs on only one side of the barbell, and carry on a conversation at the same time?

In order to prevent some future questions, especially while I am executing my set, I am going to do my best to explain "Chaos" movements and why I "forgot to add the other weight".

I picked up the concept of "Chaos" Training from the Diesel Crew.

To keep it very simple, the overall concept is to build a bridge between traditional structured movements that happen in the gym and the random movements that happen during sports.

These random movements often put us in uncompromising positions that our bodies may not be able to handle.

"Chaos Training" is a method used to train our bodies to overcome those uncompromising positions. It actually forces the body to work in multiple planes of motion versus just up and down or left and right.

Lets take the "Chaos" Lunge as an example.

Imagine you are a running back hitting a hole, and as you plant your foot in the ground, a linebacker hits you from the side.

What do you think will prepare you better to adjust to that hit?

A traditional lunge where you just move forward and backward ....

or a "Chaos" lunge where you are moving forward and backward
and you have to stabilize your body from falling over because you only have weight on one side of the bar.

I am sure the answer is pretty clear.

I want to use this forum to once again thank the Diesel Crew for developing the "Chaos" Training manual.
It has certainly added a new element to Advanced Training.

As we move forward, I will continue to post more clips of our group performing such movements.

For those of you that missed it last time, here is a clip of a "Chaos" Overhead Lunge.

No comments: