30 Things I Learned Since I Was 30 (Part II)

This is Part II (numbers 16-30) of the 30 Things I Learned Since I Was Thirty.

16.  Pull-ups from the hang are overrated. They put too much stress on your shoulders. As long as you make a reasonable effort to get a full range of motion, I am not going to call you out.

17. If you are not in an actual weightlifting (Olympic) competition, there is no reason why you should load excessive amounts of weight on the bar. You should use these lifts as an opportunity to move lighter weight more explosively in an effort to get the full benefits of triple extension.

18. Regardless of the results you have helped an athlete achieve, they will still question your program. They either want more reps, more weight, or more days of training. For those of you who keeping pestering me about these things, please see point #1 from Part I of this post.

19. Demonstrating movements for athletes all day is pretty tiring. Try getting in a full workout after demonstrating mixed isometric squats 25 times in the same day.

20. Training like a maniac does not compensate for eating like a fat pig. This usually leads to overtraining, which in turn makes you even fatter. Its an endless cycle that leaves you fat and worn out.

21. Athletes hate dynamic stretching before practice. Who wouldn't prefer to lay on the ground and catch a quick nap before practice? (Even the consummate overachievers know static stretch = break time before practice.)

22. The best and the worst feeling in the world is having one of the athletes you train become better than you at something. As a coach, I feel completely fulfilled. As a competitor, I become insanely jealous and force myself to work harder to take back my throne.

23. A good training environment is better than a great program. (If someone was yelling at you like this, I am sure you would feel obligated to bang out a few more reps too!)

24. 95% of the people who saw the video of the Chaos Overhead Lunge thought I only had one weight on the barbell because I was not strong enough to lift two. (This is why I only train the other 5% of the population.)

25. Each athlete needs to be motivated differently. Some need to be challenged. Some need to be told they are the worst. Some need to be told they are the best. Some need to know the science behind everything. As a coach, its your job to find out how to motivate each of your athletes.

26. Finding a good rap song without explicit lyrics is very hard. It takes me hours to find songs that I can actually put on our YouTube videos.

27. There is no education like experience. 

28. Never hesitate to remove a "problem" person from your program. Its not worth ruining your training environment just so you can have a bigger client base. One guy who likes to talk about last night more than he likes to train can bring down even the best athletes.

29. Adding prehab drills between sets during lifting sessions not only prevents injury, it also prevents athletes from talking to each other and losing focus on their training.

30. Everything is a competition. If you don't agree, start reading another blog and be sure to renew your membership to Planet Fitness.

No comments: