|Animal proteins - your best option|
In no particular order, here they are ....
1. Proteins are digested at different rates, similar to the glycemic index of carbohydrates
- Whey protein* is digested rapidly.
- Casein protein* is digested slowly
- New muscle protein is being made while old muscle protein is being broken down
- If you want to improve protein synthesis ... whey is your best option.
- If you want to reduce protein breakdown, casein is your best option.
- If you want to do both, a mixed protein is your best option.
|It wouldn't be a nutrition blog if I didn't plug BioTrust|
- Nitrogen obtained by consuming protein must be excreted in your urine as urea
- Increased urinary output due to high protein load may cause dehydration
5. You burn more calories digesting protein
- Your metabolic rate will increase 20% after eating protein, as compared to 10% for carbs and 5% for fats
- If you ate 100 calories of protein, 20 of those calories will be burned just digesting and using the protein.